Hey everybody, I am trying to get back on the bandwagon with posting blogs every week, so here we go again! I recently made this and everyone I have let try it adores it. The best part is it is SO easy! It may be free from a lot of allergens, but it’s got great texture and flavor that simply can’t be beat. I made this for some friends with no allergies, and they all asked me for the recipe. So that’s that… It must be a winner! 🙂
Let’s Make Some Soup:
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth (or Vegetable Broth if you’re vegetarian)
- 2 (4 ounce) Cans Diced Green Chiles
- 1 Cup Tomatoes, diced
- 1 Cup Onion, Finley chopped
- 1 Cup Colored Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1 teaspoon Garlic, Minced
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 6 Tablespoons Arrowroot Powder (Get this at Jake’s!)
- 5 Cups Milk
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 3/4 lb Colby or Monterey Jack Cheese, Freshly Shredded (about 3 cups) – It’s Important to shred this yourself as it will Melt Better
Over Medium-High Heat, in a large pot, bring broth, chiles, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, and garlic to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 10 minutes or until veggies are soft.
Meanwhile, melt the butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Add the arrowroot powder and cook for 3 minutes stirring constantly. This is your Roux. 🙂 After 3 minutes, stir in 3 1/2 cups of the milk. Stir fairly constantly for 7 minutes over medium heat until thickened. If you’re super fabulous, you can get both the veggie/broth mixture and your roux to be on the same timer – haha!
After thickened, pour your thickened roux mixture into your veggie/broth mixture and whisk. Once mixed well, add remaining 1 1/2 cups of hot milk, salt, pepper, and Monterey Jack cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Make sure to keep the heat on low at this point!
This reheats beautifully too, which is a double win.